Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Ideal Life

the ideal life today must consist of having a good childhood, followed by good times and some experimentation in high school, graduation, then college/university, meet the love of your life, date for 2 years, have the perfect wedding (by 25), get a dog, then start having babies about 2 years in (before 30), have at least one girl and one boy, become a soccer mom of kids with honors, go back to work (at 30) when they start full time school, kids move out at 18, have their babies in their 20's, you retire in your 60's, travel and die with your husband, whom you've been with for at least 30 years.

What I thought as a teen girl: Get married by 25. Have all babies (2 or 3) by 30. have a good job doing who knows what.

Ok knocked up at 16....change of plans. Still marry by 25. Have another child before son turns 10. Still get a career and be satisfied/

Reality at 27: I must be abnormal. I started off right with the good, well great childhood. Minus the permanent friends. then for whatever reason, i got pregnant at 16. Ok. New hand. Mature fast, enjoy baby, make mistakes, escape fear, realize i need to live out my missed high school years, make more mistakes, but learn to live. Work for a few years. date. Go to college. thought I met the one. Graduate with high GPA. Start work. Work work work, hate working. Become better mom. Wonder if I can ever live with someone of the opposite sex. Make mistakes. End what was the one. go on own again. Doubt I'll ever marry tho the idea is as appealing as it is scary. still only have one child, would like to have more by 30 but hmmm not sure if that'll happen. ok life is not the ideal. I'd rather be different. But at the same time, I envy what looks like the perfect life tho I can never sustain nor be satisfied with that lifestyle. Oh, baby is now 10, and still no siblings. or any cousins. so far from the ideal. I guess this is it. My new ideal.

next up: Ok, get married (or not) by 30. Have another child by 32. Pursue career in medicine. Have husband who is willing to support dream and children. Guess I'll have 2 only children. Thats ok. Maybe another set...a girl and boy! One can dream! life can be what you want it to.

4 comments:

  1. Given those criteria; you're not the only abnormal one out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that criteria is falsely perpetrated by magazines and television. i don't think i know ANYONE who actually has a life like that...ok, maybe one person, but she is freakishly cute. i think she's a robot. i'm 36, and i STILL don't know what i want to be when i grow up. i STILL feel like a little kid playing at being a grown up. so while you may feel "abnormal" (trust me, you're not), i look up to you more than just about anyone. i think it's the people who have had adversity and STILL turned out to be smart, kind, funny, loving people who have the most going for them. if your whole life has been a series of perfect opportunities and situations, where is the learning? where is the experiences? how are you supposed to become strong and brave? nah...you're WAY better than them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normality is a matter of view point and viewpoint a matter of taste. Strive to be yourself and except the past and look to the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha. but really...who wants the perfect life? The ones with the so-called ideal lives are seriously messed up and miserable. I'm happy the way things are because things happen when they are meant to happen and for a reason.

    ReplyDelete